If you witness a crime and wish to report it to the police, you may be wondering if you can do so anonymously. The answer is yes, you can speak to the police anonymously; however, there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost, while your identity will not be revealed to the person who committed the crime, it will be known to law enforcement.
Secondly, if you choose to remain anonymous, you may not be eligible for certain rewards or protections that come with being a named witness. Finally, anonymity is not guaranteed; if law enforcement believes that your information is critical to their investigation, they may subpoena your testimony.
- If you want to speak to the police anonymously, you can call your local police department’s non-emergency number
- When you call, tell the dispatcher that you wish to remain anonymous and ask to speak with a detective or officer about a certain incident
- The dispatcher will then transfer your call to the appropriate person
- Once you are speaking with the detective or officer, give them as much information as possible about the incident without revealing your identity
- If necessary, the detective or officer may ask follow-up questions in order to get more information from you
- Once you have given all of the information that you have, thank the detective or officer for their time and hang up the phone
Jan. 6 committee holds a public hearing – 10/13 (FULL LIVE STREAM)
-Can I Give My Tip to the Police Anonymously
If you have information about a crime and you want to remain anonymous, there are a few ways to give your tip to the police.
The first way is to call the police department’s non-emergency number. When you call, tell the dispatcher that you have information about a crime, but do not give your name.
The dispatcher will take down your information and pass it on to an investigator. Another way to give an anonymous tip is through Crime Stoppers. Crime Stoppers is a national organization that allows people to anonymously submit tips about crimes they have witnessed or know about.
To submit a tip, you can go to their website or call their hotline at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). When giving any kind of tip, remember to be as specific as possible with the information you have. This will help the police investigate the crime more effectively.
If you want to report a crime but don’t want to give your name, there are ways you can do it anonymously. You can call the police department’s non-emergency line and tell them what happened. The dispatcher will take down your information and pass it on to the officers.
You can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). This is a national organization that takes anonymous tips about crimes. They will pass on your information to the police, but they won’t give your name to anyone.